Teachers Pay Teachers Teacher's Notebook Bloglovin Image Map

Sunday, July 22, 2012

Kindergarten Daily 5 Linky Ch.1


The Daily 5 Linky Party for Kindergarten started awhile ago, but I just found my missing book.
1. How do I teach new behaviors?
This is where modeling modeling modeling is so important. At the beginning of the year, I model what to do,and a few examples of what NOT to do. I like the idea of looking at behaviors and discussing what is/isn't working and modeling that as time goes on. I am really strong at the beginning of the year, then I taper off. I especially love the modeling of walking. When my big adult self runs to my seat with 25 pairs of eyes watching, they say "Oooooooooooh!"

2. How do I teach expectations?
I have several visual lists(anchor charts, perhaps?) that we refer to. I have a general "class rules", and one for the carpet, and one for the hallway. We also have one for dealing with conflicts, which is listed at my TPT store <here>.

3.  How do I monitor student behavior?
I use the clip chart where everyone starts on green and moves down the colors if they make a bad choice. I recently discovered it originated with the Lee Canter system. I also use positive rewards weekly or bi-weekly for anyone who is on green that day.

4. What do I do when a student is not exhibiting desired behavior?
Students are given a warning, then I move their clip. Usually by the first month, I am not moving too many clips. The kinders get the routine down by then and know the expectations.

5.Whose classroom is it?
I think my students come in with a lot of careless behaviors. They are not accountable for cleaning up and taking care of their things at home. I find that they are not respectful of the things in the room. So I start the year with many reminders about how they are borrowing "my" things and how important it is for them to "share" my things with respect. I do have the students make the classroom rules with me, (there's that modeling again), and we have many class discussions about our classroom being like their home, but with 25 kids and only one "Mom". I think I will emphasize their ability to make "choices" when D5 is in effect, to give them the feeling that it is their class as well as mine.

6. Locus of Control?
I give my kinders more independence than my co-workers, but I would like to give them even more.

7. Where are supplies stored?
My kinders have shared materials at their tables, but everything else is in a box...book box, mail box, colored box, etc...they are responsible for putting their things away and getting them out.

If you want to know more about this book study or read more from other teachers, click <here>:


No comments:

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...