Teachers Pay Teachers Teacher's Notebook Bloglovin Image Map

Saturday, July 28, 2012

Daily 5 Chapter 3 Linky Party










1.   Establish a gathering place for brain and body breaks...

We meet on the “carpet” in my class. We use it for whole group instruction, calendar, math, etc.  I am moving to another room and I am trying to decide where to put the “gathering place”. In the new room, it will be next to our class library, so far. I like the idea of the empty space being near the books, so we’ll see how that goes. I know that it can’t be too large of a spot, because that encourages running!



2.   Developing the concept of "good fit" books...

I would like to start the year with tweaking this concept by emphasizing interest. I made a point of there being 3 ways to read a book…by looking at the pictures, by looking at the words, or by retelling the story. At the beginning of the year, I focus on procedures more than actual reading levels.



3.   Create anchor charts with students...

I love the idea of anchor charts! I plan to use them when we meet at the carpet to solidify learning. We will create them together, but I understand the idea that many other teachers had to make them ahead of time and fill them in with the students. We will see how this goes..I made a few last year, but this year will be a lot different.



4. Independent practice and setting up book boxes:

What will you use for book boxes? 

What are you going to put in those book boxes on the 1st day of school?

Love the muscle memory idea! I have plastic book boxes with attached lids that we have used for years. For the first day, I may put books in, or let the students pick one…leading to the I-Pick ideas. I am not sure about doing that the first day though.



5. Calm Signals and check in procedures (Do you already have a signal? How will you handle check ins?) We use a bell for a signal. The check-in is a cute idea. We usually have a few students re-state the directions/information, but this is a good idea.


6. Using the correct model/incorrect model approach for demonstrating appropriate behaviors... Love this! I have to make a point of doing more of this!


 
To see what other teachers thought, click HERE. Or link up! :)

No comments:

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...