Teachers Pay Teachers Teacher's Notebook Bloglovin Image Map

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Daily 5 Chapter 5 Linky Party





Two blogs are covering this chapter! Make sure to visit them:

and 

Read to Someone
Why should students be reading to someone? (What is the purpose for reading to someone that each student should know and understand?)
Practice makes perfect, fluency is important, and so is hearing your own voice.  My students have been reading to someone for years as a “transition” activity, and they are always good at listening to others “like the teacher does”. 

How can your students' EEKK?
We haven’t done EEKK before, but I will accept whatever feels comfortable to them as long as they are not disturbing anyone.  

How can your students read to someone and how can you need to model these ways with your students?
We have reading buddies in our classroom…beanie babies in a basket that they read to sometimes.  We could use the beanies to model…that would be quite attention-getting!  I love the details in this chapter about breaking the task down into parts, so that the Kinders learn the parts little by little. The teachers are definitely releasing the responsibility to the Kinders as they each behavior (how to do it(which method to use), where to do it in the room, and picking a proper book, along with picking a partner!) 

What is the one thing you have done with partner reading that ensures the success of your students?
I think putting out new books helps. And new partners…the beanies, the third graders, using the big books(instead of smaller ones) with pointers, are a few.

Listening to Reading
How will you instill the importance (or urgency as the sisters call it) of 'listening to reading' in your students and especially those students who have had little 'lap time' or reading done for them in their own homes? I think the children will love this activity without me having to instill it. I notice when I read a book to the whole group, they are stone still and hang on every word.

 What devices or strategies are you going to use to conduct listen to reading?' Will you use a community recording device with one cd and several earphones, individual cd players, tape recorders, ipod-type devices or computers?
I have a few cassette players(individual) that still work, but I would really like the kids to use my computers for this. My cassettes are not holding up too well after all the use over the years!  I would love to have ipod-type devices, but I am unsure about that(where to get them, etc).

What expectations will you have for your students during 'listen to reading' and how will you keep them on task and independent instead of needing your assistance when they can't manage 'devices?'
I don’t have too many problems with my kids using the computers. We used Starfall a lot last year and for the most part they just click around and choose different games or stories. I like the idea of a “center captain” to help at the computer area though.

Do you have enough 'listening to reading' type materials? If not, what ideas do you have for securing these materials?  Where will you store them? How will your students retrieve these items? Where will they be used (will there be a designated spot in your class for listen or reading or will it be their choice)? I am planning on saving some “listening to reading sites on my classroom computers so they can select what they want. I also will have headphones there(paid for by PTO).

What expectations will you have for your students during 'listen to reading' and how will you keep them on task and independent instead of needing your assistance when they can't manage 'devices?'
I think they will be able to handle it. The worst thing that usually happens is that someone unplugs the headphones then we all hear the story outloud!  When we chose which “center” to go to(when I did “centers”), my kids always picked computers first. I think this will be a popular spot.

The sisters do not really talk about this in their book, but how do you feel about listening response sheets?  Will listening to reading be just for 'listening' or will there be follow-up work required of your students?  If there is reading response sheets, what will they look like?
I like the accountability of a response sheet, but they seem like they require a lot of modeling to get a proper response and I am not sure that the pencil/paper task is what I want this activity to focus on. If I did do a response sheet, it would have a simple sheet, such as write the title of the book and draw something that  you enjoyed from this story. Very simple.

I would be remiss to not add this so . . . how can this station be differentiated to meet the various learning profiles, interests and/or readiness of your students?
This is what is great about using the computer. You can have several choices for the students, with some more difficult than others.  Even Starfall has several different levels of activities.


Go to Ch. 6 HERE...there are FREEBIES! I'm too late to link up to the party! :(

 ***Don't forget to read what others said about this chapter or Link Up!

No comments:

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...